Alright friends, its cocktail time! Now to be totally honest, I’ve never been a big cocktail person. I love wine, I like beer, I love coffee, I like tea…but I go through stages with hard booze. When I was younger I was a total gin girl, then one day I went to have my usual gin & tonic and just the smell of it turned me off. Nothing had happened, I didn’t get drunk and throw up or anything, I just wasn’t into it anymore. The same thing happened with bourbon. Like three years ago, if you would have asked me what my favourite drink was – it was guaranteed to be bourbon. Now, not so much.
These days I’m mostly a beer girl, with a little prosecco thrown in here and there.
See, although I agree that making cocktails is an art – I think things can get a little over the top sometimes. I find looking at cocktail lists these days a little daunting, because there are so many ingredients in each one. But, I’m trying to re-open my horizons on cocktails. So I’m starting things off with a simple, bright and tasty cocktail recipe.
A little blood orange and rosemary gin soda.
YIELD – 2 cocktails
- 4 oz. gin (I used a good local gin, because it has a nice floral hint to it – Eau Claire Gin)
- 1 oz. rosemary simple syrup (click for recipe)
- Juice of 2 blood oranges (minus 2 slices)
- 4-6 oz. gingerale
- 6 large ice cubes
- 2 small sprigs of rosemary
- 2 full round slices
- put ice cubes in cocktail glasses and build cocktail over ice
- pour gin into glass first, followed by the simple syrup, and then the blood orange juice
- give the cocktail a good stir and add in rosemary sprig
- top with gingerale and garnish with orange wheel
Last but not least – drink!