Ok so you already know my secret ingredient – it’s raspberries.
I’m not a big dessert person, I don’t really care for sweet anything and I generally dislike pie crust; so I decided to make pie, haha. My friend had a mountain of rhubarb in her backyard and it made me feel a little nostalgic for summers at my Grandma’s, eating rhubarb dipped in sugar, strawberry rhubarb pie and handfuls of raspberries; so that’s really why I made pie.
Because I don’t like super sweet stuff, I decided to add raspberries to my pie (also because I didn’t really have enough strawberries and I was too lazy to go to the store and get more). This pie turned out so well, I’m so proud of it and I think my Grandma would be too.
YIELD – 1 pie
- 1 pie crust, top and bottom (click here for my pie crust recipe)
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp of water to create egg wash for dough
- 21/2 cups of rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 11/2 cups of sliced strawberries
- 1 cup whole raspberries
- 1 tsp. blood orange zest
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
It isn’t necessary to use blood orange zest, but I really loved the flavour it added. Lemon zest or regular orange zest will do.
If you don’t want to use raspberries, just make it 21/2 cups of strawberries instead of the combination of both berries.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line a 9″ pie pan with the pie dough and fork the dough ever so slightly.
- In a bowl add all the other ingredients together and mix until the fruit is well coated and all ingredients are combined.
- Pour mix into the pie crust. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash.
- Cover the rhubarb mix with the second piece of pie dough. I decided to lattice the top and alternated 3/4″ or so pieces of dough over the mix. If you do one whole piece, make sure that you make a few cuts into it or fork the top all over. Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle some coconut sugar on top.
- Bake in the oven on 400F for 15 min. then turns he oven down to 350F and bake for another 45 min or until the pie is golden brown.
I hope you give this pie a little shot, using my pie crust, and my little twists.
Till the next recipe,