I don’t know about you but I find it hard to want light and refreshing salads when the skies are grey, it’s pouring rain, windy and cold. But the weather is finely looking up and I’m back on the watermelon train.
This salad is fantastic and so easy, with only six ingredients.
It is a perfect addition for your next BBQ or a mid day snack.
YIELD – 4 servings
- 6 cups 1/2″ cubed watermelon (about 3 lbs. with the rind on)
- 3 cups of chopped tomatoes (*see notes)
- 1/3 cup toasted peanuts
- Zest and juice from one fresh lime (about 2 tsp. zest and 2 tbsp. juice)
- 1/4 cup roughly sliced Thai basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried red chiles
- Salt to taste
I use a combination of tomatoes for my salad. It gives nice color and flavour, so feel free to mix it up.
The peanuts are such a great addition, so feel free to add more. You can purchase peanuts that are already toasted (just make sure they are unsalted), but if you want you can also toast them yourself. Check out www.thekitchn.com’s blog post for a how to.
- There isn’t really a ton of directions for this one – just add all ingredients in a bowl (including lime juice and zest), toss to combine, sprinkle salt to taste and serve.
I hope you get chance to make this salad, it is light, refreshing and can be prepared in minutes.
Till the next recipe…