Well I think by now you know that I love watermelon. I’m pretty sure I always did. It was a treat for us in the summer to be able to munch on slices of watermelon all day long in the sunshine. It’s still one of my favourite memories from staying at my grandparents. We were so lucky, when it came to food my Grandma had anything and everything. And she would of course make you anything ad everything, even if it meant making four or five different meals at once.
I remember one day eating so much watermelon, too much, like I’m pretty sure that I ate the whole thing – but I wouldn’t stop. My grandma warned me if I kept eating the watermelon, I would probably pee the bed; I did not believe her. I wet the bed. I woke up in the middle of the night soaked. I was sleeping next to my grandma and my younger sister was on the other side. I assumed it was my sister (sorry sister), and I think my Grandma let me believe it so I wouldn’t be embarrassed. Somewhere inside of that little mine I knew it was me, we all did. Funny that this memory sticks out in my head and as a positive one no less.
Ok, back to the point of this whole post – watermelon salad. This salad was the first watermelon salad I ever made, and maybe still the best one. Or maybe I just feel like that because it has a special place in my heart.
But here it is:
YIELD – 4 to 6 servings
- 6 cups of chopped watermelon
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted (shell removed) pumpkin seeds (lay pumpkin seeds out on a tray at put in the oven at 400F for a couple of minutes)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped mint
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ok this salad is seriously so easy, like you chop things and throw them in a bowl together and basically you’re done.
- Add the watermelon to your serving dish/bowl, then sprinkle the other ingredients on top, starting with the dried cranberries, then the pumpkin seeds, feta cheese and mint.
- Grate the lemon zest over the salad, then squeeze fresh juice over top. Toss to coat all ingredients and add salt and pepper to taste.
That’s it friends, once you have everything chopped up, it takes about 3 min. to pull it all together.
Till the next recipe.