I have to admit, I am not a scone fan. I’m not really a pastry fan period, but scones I especially don’t like. I always find whenever I get them, they’re hard and kind of flavorless and I have to chew the tiniest piece for what feels like hours to get through it. Just not what I’m into.
But I realize that other people, lots of other people love scones – so I decided to give them a try. And these scones turned out to be delicious. I threw in a little secret ingredient and the scones turned out, a little more cake like; fluffier than the ones I’ve normally had and with a little crumble. Yum.
YIELD – 1 dozen
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vanilla greek yogurt (secret ingredient)
- 1-2 tbsp. of milk if needed (I used almond milk, any milk will do)
- 3/4 fresh blueberries
*I found the dough a little too dry after adding the yogurt, so I used a little over a tbsp. of almond milk to give it the pliability it needed. It may not be necessary, depending on how your dough turns out.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt) and mix together.
- Next add in the butter and use a pastry cutter if you have to cut it up into the dry mix. Butter should be the size of small peas. If you don’t have a pastry cutter, two butter knives works well.
- Then add the egg, vanilla extract and the greek yogurt. Mix the dough around a couple of times, but not too much. Add the blueberries and mix around. Then take the dough in your hands and form 2 thick discs. Cut the discs into 6 triangles.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350F for about 20-22 min. or until the bottom and tops are turning light golden brown.
These are perfect for a weekend brunch, and are pretty quick to make about 45 min. altogether.
And if you want to get really crazy you can warm one up and have it with vanilla ice-cream for dessert. We did last night and it was such a nice late night treat.
Till the next recipe.