This is one of my favourite salads, so bright and colourful and filled with fresh flavours.
The first time I made this salad, it was a quick throw together. I had grown my first little vegetable garden on my apartment patio, and got a handful of carrots out of it. I didn’t really get enough to do too much with, so I thought a little side salad would do the trick. I took a look at what I had in my kitchen and this recipe was born.
I will say that this salad is best made with farm fresh rainbow carrots, and the ones that come in your YYC Growers Harvest Box are perfect! Store bought carrots just don’t compare to these sweet, crunchy, earthy carrots.
YIELD – approximately 4 – 6 servings
- 11/2 lbs. rainbow carrots, washed and sliced into rounds*
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
*I prefer the rainbow carrots as they are visually beautiful and have a nice mix of flavour; but of course you can use any carrots (if you have to). I like to slice the carrots into thin rounds, because I enjoy bigger pieces, but you can slice, chop or even grate your carrots however you like.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (you can use olive oil – but personally I like the neutrality of vegetable oil on this that allows the other flavours to come through more clearly)
- Juice from one lemon (approx. 2-3 tbsp.)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. dried red chili peppers
- 2 tsp. honey
SALAD & DRESSING
- Toss the sliced carrots, parsley, and cilantro in a bowl (it can be the bowl you plan to serve it out of).
- In a separate container with a lid, add all the dressing ingredients. Put the lid on and shake vigorously until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until well coated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This salad is the perfect companion for so many meals; it goes lovely with roast chicken, BBQ steak, and much more. Plus, it does very well in the fridge for a couple days.
It is the perfect recipe to really enhance the flavour of those beautiful carrots.
Till the next recipe.