The sun is finally shining in Calgary – man that took FOREVER. Seriously, the longest winter of my life. Plus, I just had a baby at the end of February so the snow and – 20 weather that came shortly after was a huge disappointment with a newborn. I have never felt so trapped in my life.
But the good news is, it’s over and spring has finally sprung. Well it seems like it actually moved straight into summer, but whose complaining about that.
So spring/summer vibes have me feeling all the cocktails. And what better to make a cocktail with than a couple local products. We’ve been getting so many beautiful mini cucumbers in our YYC Growers Harvest Box, I was dying to make a cocktail with them. I ended up making a few different ones, because cucumbers in cocktails are delicious! I paired this one up with Eau Claire Parlour Gin, made in Turner Valley, AB. If you have not been there before or tried their gin you are missing out. They have a gorgeous tasting room, great cocktails, yummy snacks and so many more beautiful hand-crafted spirits.
This cocktail is everything you want, a little sweet, a little tart, aromatic, crazy flavourful and pretty easy to concoct. Plus you can do it in batches if you want so it’s a great one if you plan on having friends over for brunch or an afternoon BBQ.
YIELD – 4 to 6 cocktails
- 1 average honeydew (about 4 cups)
- 2 mini cucumbers (or about 1/2 full sized cucumber)
- 4 to 6 sprigs of cilantro
- 4 to 6 key limes
- approximately 2 tbsp. of simple syrup (recipe linked)
- Salt (Maldon is delightful – you can grab it off Amazon below)
- Ice cubes (I love the square ones)
- (OPTIONAL, 4-6 oz. soda water)*
- Key lime slices
- Cilantro leaves
- Salt flakes
- Cut honeydew in half and scoop flesh out and into blender (I use my Vitamix, but ay blender will do). Break the mini cucumbers in half and add to the honeydew. Blend until completely liquified. Pour through a strainer and put juice aside for now.
- Next you will want to muddle the key limes and cilantro. You can either muddle them directly in the glasses (1 key lime and a few cilantro leaves for each cocktail) or you can do it in a mortar & pestle. Add the key limes (quartered) and cilantro leaves together and a few salt flakes, muddle until the cilantro is bruised and the limes are sufficiently juiced. If done outside of the cocktail glasses, divide muddled mixture into each cocktail glass.
- Add ice, and then pour 11/2 oz. of Eau Claire Parlour Gin into each glass. Followed by 1 tsp. of simple syrup into each glass, topped with the cucumber & honeydew juice. Give the cocktails a good stir to combine ingredients.
- Garnish with a key lime wheel, cilantro leaf and a couple of salt flakes.
- Last but not least – drink up!
Special Note: if you like a little fizz to your cocktail, feel free to top off with a little soda water. Personally I prefer this particular drink without.
As I mentioned – I love love love Eau Claire Gin, but this cocktail would be amazing with Tequila if that’s your thing.
To be hones it would be good with Vodka and Rum too. I just really like the aromatics that the gin brings to the table – but that’s just me.
Also if you’re not down with cilantro – don’t worry, sub it for fresh mint or basil and it will be just as delicious!
Till the next recipe,
Disclaimer: My Sweet Mess uses affiliate links, which allow me to receive a small commission when you make a purchase through one of my suggested links. Thank you for supporting My Sweet Mess!