I’m so excited to share this recipe with you guys.
I actually used to have it an old blog I used to run called 365 Days of Salad and it was very popular. Sadly at the time I was running that blog, time was a thing I didn’t have. I was working part-time, running a catering business full-time, and had a few other projects on the go, so it just didn’t get anywhere.
I have made this recipe a 100X and swear I love it more and more, despite hating beets. I know hate is a strong word – but there’s something about food that in my mind should be savoury, but is in fact sweet – YUCK! I just don’t like it. However I do try to work with it a lot, because so many people LOVE beets (including my main squeeze), and I have to say, I’m getting there. I still don’t love them, but I may not quite hate them anymore.
YIELD – 6 to 8 side servings
- 2 bartlett pears
- 2 average sized beets
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped mint
- 2/3 cup of feta cheese(I used Trestelle brand)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Juice from one fresh lemon (approx. 3 tbsp.)
- Cut the pears (I keep the peel on, you can take it off if you want) into thin matchstick like slices. Put in serving dish and pour 1 tbsp. of lemon juice over top, (this will keep them from browning).
- Peel and cut the beets into the same matchstick like slices and add to pears.
- Add feta cheese and mint and toss together.
- For the dressing add all ingredients together and mix well until combined. Pour dressing onto salad and toss ensuring everything is coated.
- Add salt and/or pepper to taste and serve.
Voila, you’re done! This salad is that easy and takes about 10 minutes to make.
On top of which, it is delicious – I promise you, it will delight your guests at your next BBQ. It is light and refreshing and goes perfectly with pretty much anything else you will serve – chicken, pork, steak, burgers, fish, you name it.
Till the next recipe,