Summer is upon us, not officially for a few weeks but Mother Nature decided to skip spring and head straight to hot days and warm nights; and really who’s complaining?
Not me, that’s for sure! It’s perfect timing for this lovely recipe – carrot, apple and ginger coleslaw. Three things that go so well together – sweet and tart apples, earthy carrots, and zingy ginger makes this the perfect combination.
Wondering what you might use this for….so many things. We use it on hoisin braised pork tacos (which I will post the recipe for in a couple of weeks). You can use it with pork belly, flank steak, on a roasted chicken sandwich (a favourite), or add it to a salad; the options are endless.
- 2 average sized grated carrots
- 1 apple cut into tiny matchstick style slices (I use pink lady apples, but gala, fuji, or honeycrisp all work well)
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp. thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. raw honey (you can substitute maple syrup or agave if you’d like to be vegan)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix together all ingredients and toss until well coated.
- Serve with your favourite dish.
* Coleslaw can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Please comment below and tell me what you served it with.
Till the next recipe,