I’m a day late on my post for YYC Growers, sorry guys!
It was Clint’s first Father’s Day and I was busting my ass to make it special. And since I had Luna, my time management skills are simply not as good as they were before.
Excuses aside – I did have the recipe written, I just didn’t post it to the blog.
So here you are, pink grapefruit, cucumber & basil lemonade. Now it sounds like a mouthful of ingredients – but I promise you it’s not a long drawn out recipe, it’s pretty quick, you can make ahead and have it available to drink all week or weekend.
YIELD – approx. 3 Litres
Basil Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 basil sprigs
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup cucumber water (about 1/2 a large english cuke or 2-3 mini cukes) – see instructions below
- 2/3 cup simple syrup*
- 9 cups of cold water
- ice (optional)
*Special Note: you ann add as much or as little simple syrup depending on how sweet you like your lemonade.
- Fresh grapefruit slices
- Fresh lemon slices
- Cucumber slices
- Bail leaves
- First we will make the simple syrup. Place the sugar, water and basil sprigs in a pot and bring to a boil over low/med heat. Once it’s boiled turn heat off and let simmer for 5 min. then remove from burner. Discard the basil sprigs and let cool.
- Next you want to take your cucumber above and blend it until completely liquified. Then pour through a strainer to get the cucumber water. The pulp can be discarded.
- In a large pitcher mix together the cold water, lemon juice, pink grapefruit juice, cucumber water, and simple syrup. Stir until combined. Add ice, garnish and serve.
This recipe is great to have on hand throughout the summer. Refreshing and hydrating it’s perfect for those hot summer days.
Great for kids and adults alike, it will delight at your next BBQ.
And if you’re feeling a little spicy – add a shot of vodka or my personal favourite gin for an adults only cocktail!
Till the next recipe,