It’s summertime in the city and that means lazy cooking, because it’s too damn hot to have the oven on all the time. So we’ve been eating a lot of veggie bowls and salads these days. Specifically this one because it is simple, packs a ton of flavour and is also pretty to look at.
But seriously, this bowl is not only delicious, but filling and easy to throw together. Filling is a big thing, because there’s nothing worse than eating a big bowl of veggies, trying to do the healthy thing and still being starving afterwards – because if you’re like me you pretty much end up hitting a drive -thru for a burger, which kinda defeats the purpose. I mean you had the veggies, but still.
In the summer I pretty much always have these ingredients on hand (thanks in part to my YYC Growers Harvest Box) which makes it even better because I don’t have to the store again which is not super fun all the time with a 5 month old.
Here it is friends – your new favorite summertime eats.
YIELD – 4 servings
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 – 1 tsp of sambal oelek chili paste(depending on what you want the spice level to be)*
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- fresh juice from 1/2 lime (about 1 tbsp)
* Special Note: the chili paste doesn’t need to be sambal just something similar.
- 350 g of firm tofu, cubed
- 2 lbs of melon- balled watermelon
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 4-6 mini cucumbers or 2 regular english cucumbers, sliced into large matchsticks
- 1/3 cup pickled ginger
- 6-8 radish, thinly sliced
- 11/2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- First make the dressing and set aside. Pour all the ingredients together (leaving out 1 tbsp of sesame oil) and whisk until combined and set aside.
- Cut the tofu into large cubes and pat dry with paper towel. In the meantime turn a large heavy bottom pan onto med/high heat and add the remaining 1 tbsp of sesame oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu pieces a few at a time and cook until browned and crispy, then flip and do the same to the other side. once they’re all cooked – toss them in 1-2 tbsp of the dressing.
- Arrange the ingredients (tofu, watermelon, avocado, cucumber, pickled ginger and radish) in a bowl or on a plate. drizzle dressing overtop, and sprinkle the black sesame seeds over the veggies, garnish with sliced green onions and serve.
Look at those gorgeous colors. Sorry the photos aren’t great – I actually kinda hate them, but the recipe is bang on and that’s what’s important, right?!? I don’t know about you but I almost always feel great when eating all the naturally bright-colored food.
If you’re like me and not really a tofu kinda gal/guy, don’t sweat it – I made it with flank steak for my niece (I still ate the tofu) and that was off the charts too. Just steal the same amount of dressing you did for the tofu and marinate your steak in it for 15 minutes before grilling. See, I’m here to make life easier; even if you’re a carnivore – you can still have this yummy bowl, no excuses. And if you want you can add other veggies too, carrots, cabbage, cilantro and fresh mint would all go great.
Till the next recipe,