Spring is such a great time of year; the sun starts shining on a more regular basis, the flowers start blooming, I start gardening and salad season starts in full force.
I could eat salad everyday, in fact I go through stages where I actually do and they are so good. I’m telling you whoever said salads are boring has not had a good salad. The best thing about them – they’re so versatile, you can literally add whatever you want to them.
Sometimes they’re super simple with just a handful of great ingredients (like this one), and sometimes it’s everything except the kitchen sink – also fantastic. It really just depends on the mood I’m in and what’s in the fridge. But that’s a great point – if you’re the kind of person that doesn’t know what to make a salad out of, just start experimenting with what’s in your fridge. There are very few fruits and vegetables that don’t go well together so you really can’t go wrong.
Today I’m giving you guys one of my favourite spring salad recipes – it is ultra simple, with only 4 main ingredients, herbs and dressing and even with all that, it’s only 10 ingredients total.
Here’s the recipe for my zucchini, radish and sweet pea salad with feta cheese, and a super simple white wine vinaigrette.
YIELD – 4 to 6 servings
- 2 average sized zucchini, ribbon cut*
- 6 radish, think sliced
- 1 cup of shelled sweet snap peas
- handful of fresh dill leaves
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- 2/3 cup of feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
*Special Note: if you do not have a veggie spiralizer don’t worry about it – you can use a mandolin to shave the zucchini really thin, or alternatively just slice thin with a knife.
- First make the dressing. Add all the ingredients to a container with a lid and shake vigorously until it’s fully mixed or alternatively you can whisk together in a bowl; and set aside.
- Rinse the zucchini and radish and remove any dirt. Use a veggie spiralizer* (see above if you do not have one) on ribbon cut to slice your zucchini. Add to a large bowl. Add two tbsp of the dressing to the zucchini and toss until coated. Then place your zucchini ribbons on your serving platter.
- Thinly slice the radish and scatter overtop of the zucchini. Then sprinkle the peas over the salad. Crumble your feta or cut into tiny cubes and spread evenly over the salad. Next pull small dill and mint leaves and sprinkle over the salad. If the mint leaves are too big, just give them a rough chop first.
- Pour on as much or as little dressing as you like, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
This salad is perfect for those long weekdays when you get homer from work late and don’t know what to make. It’s quick, easy and satisfying, as simple as it is; and if you feel like it won’t be enough, serve it up as a side to a nice piece fo grilled salmon, or steak.
You can definitely do some fun variations on this salad too – so don’t be afraid to improvise. Try basil instead of mint or dill, try lemon in the dressing instead of white wine vinegar, try goat cheese instead of feta – or if you’re vegan, you can omit the cheese altogether.
If you don’t have a veggie spiralizer and you are interested in getting one, here are some of my favourites:
This one is probably hands down my favourite one, it’s easy to use and relatively easy to clean.
If you’re looking for something a little simpler you can try this handheld one:
And if you don’t want to do any work, you can check out this electric one:
Regardless of how you slice your veggies, this salad is sure to make you happy and full of beautiful, raw, fresh good for you veggies.
Till the next recipe,
Disclaimer: My Sweet Mess uses affiliate links, which allow me to receive a small commission when you make a purchase through one of my suggested links. Thank you for supporting My Sweet Mess!