Summer is not over yet, and although lavender season usually ends in July our lavender has continued to bloom here; probably because of the extreme heat we’ve been having. Our daughter has been loving it. First thing in the morning she goes out with her Dad to water the plants and comes back in chomping on lavender flowers, dill, sage leaves and more.
So, since our lavender is still going strong I thought I would share this recipe for lavender lemonade with you even though I’m a little late in the season. But don’t worry if you can’t find fresh lavender – you can use dried lavender too. If you’re not sure where to find dried lavender, you can grab it here:
Or in Calgary you can grab it at Silk Road Spice Merchants.
- LAVENDER SYRUP
- 2 cups water
- 8-10 sprigs of fresh lavender or 2 tbsp dried lavender
- 1 cup sugar
- 11/2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 8-10 cups water ( I use still, but you can also use sparkling)
- OPTIONAL GARNISH
- fresh lavender sprigs
- lemon slices
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the lavender sprigs (or dried lavender), stir, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the lavender sprigs from the syrup and set syrup aside to let cool. If you are using dried lavender you will need to strain the flowers out of the syrup.
- You can either mix in a large pitcher or directly in glasses. If mixing in a pitcher, first add the lemon juice to your large pitcher. Once cooled, add the lavender syrup to the lemon juice and stir well. Add the cold water starting with 6 cups. Taste the lemonade and continue to add water until you've reached your desired flavour. Serve chilled over ice and garnish with slices of fresh lemon and a sprig of lavender.
- If you are serving directly in glasses, mix the lemon juice and lavender syrup together in a jar with a lid and mix well. Fill glasses with ice and pour approximately 1/3 cup syrup into each glass. Top with water of your choice (sparkling or still) and stir well until combined. Garnish with lemon slice and a sprig of lavender and enjoy!
If you are going to use sparkling water, I suggest serving it directly in glasses. That way, if you don't use all the syrup up, you can make more lemonade later without the water going flat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 glass
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 0gSugar: 29gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators and not from My Sweet Mess. Although we do attempt to provide as accurate nutritional information as possible, these figures are only estimates.
This lemonade is beautiful served with a lemon slice fresh lavender sprig. And it’s fantastic as a non-alcoholic lemonade, but is equally as delicious as an adults – only version with a splash of good vodka or gin. You can also substitute sparkling water if you’d like a bubbly version. Whichever way you decide to have it, I promise you’re going to love it!
If you like this recipe, check out my other lavender recipes:
And if you’re looking for more summer mocktails to enjoy, here you are:
If you make this recipe or any other, I’d love to hear from you. Comment here, or tag me on Instagram and hashtag #mysweetmess.
Till the next recipe,